Australian Development Scholarships (ADS) in Africa provide opportunities for people from selected countries to undertake Post-graduate diploma or Masters degree programs in Australia. This program does not currently include undergraduate or doctorate studies.
ADS have replaced most scholarships previously offered by AusAID in Africa, namely the Nelson Mandela Scholarships and Australian Development Cooperation Scholarships (ADCOS).
- Applications for Masters and PhD (Agriculture) Awards for 2013 are now open. The closing date for applications for Masters Awards is 28 February 2012.
- The closing date for applications for PhD (Agriculture) Awards is 30 April 2012.
- For more information, including eligibility criteria, go to “Choose Your Country” and follow the links to awards available for citizens from your country.
Scholarships provided through the Australia Awards program play an important role in fostering and sustaining friendship and cooperation between Australia and developing countries. These awards are a central part of the Australian Government’s development cooperation program in Africa. By providing people with the knowledge and the skills to promote development in their home country, the program aims to contribute to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals in Africa while promoting Australia as an active partner in African development.
Masters scholarship for Nigerians
Applications for the Long-Term Awards (LTA) Masters Degree 2013 Intake are OPEN from 01 October 2011. Please do not submit before this date; early applications will not be processed.
You should submit your fully complete Preliminary Application Form (PAF) along with all supporting documents by 28 February 2012. We encourage applicants to submit their applications earlier than this if possible. Please see the link given below for instructions on how to apply.
Successful applicants for the 2013 intake will be contacted for an interview. Interviews are currently scheduled to begin from early May 2012.
People with disability are encouraged to apply, as are women and people from rural areas.
The Pre-Departure Briefing for the awardees mobilising in January 2012 will be held at the Protea Hotel Asokoro in Abuja from 13 – 14 October. The reception will be held on 13 October at the HOM’s residence.
Desired Applicant Profile and General Information for Applicants
Priority Fields for Nigeria are: Education, Public Policy (including Public Sector Reform, Trade & Diplomacy), Health, Agriculture/Food Security
Eligible Sectors: Applications may come from applicants employed in the Public Sector; the Private Sector and non-government organisations (Civil Society).
The AAA targets certain types of applicant. Applicants that meet the following criteria will be considered:
- You are a national of Nigeria.
- You are an early or mid-career professional working in the Public Sector, the Private Sector or non-government organisation (Civil Society) in one of the listed priority fields of study.
- You must not be more than 50 years of age at the date of your application.
- You must have at least two (2) years’ post-graduation work experience. This work experience must be in a role relevant to your proposed field of study and to your employment organisation type (e.g. public sector applicants should demonstrate public sector work experience, and so on). Preference will be given to candidates with greater periods of experience.
- You possess, as a minimum, a Bachelors degree (or the equivalent) of at least 4 years in length with a minimum mark of3rd Class Division (3rd) or the equivalent average mark.
- You wish to undertake a Masters degree in Australia in one of the listed priority fields of study.
- You have a clear vision for how you will use the knowledge gained through the Masters degree to improve policy, practice or education in the proposed field of study.
- Female candidates and people with a disability are strongly encouraged to apply.
IMPORTANT: please also read the General Information for Applicants document given below. It gives additional selection criteria and other information that will be useful, such as scholarship entitlements and responsibilities.
- General Information for LTA-Masters Applicants Word 97 format
- General Information for LTA-Masters Applicants PDF format
- Please note that you should apply for only ONE type of award per year. For example, if you have applied for a short-course award, you should NOT apply for a Masters award.
- You are also encouraged to apply separately to an Australian Institution for your preferred course. If you do so, please provide the provisional acceptance letter as part of your AAA preliminary application. If you have been provisionally accepted by an Australian Institution, it may benefit your application for an award.
How to Apply
Please download the document below, which gives information on how to apply.
Where to apply online:
Hardcopy applications should be couriered to the South Africa AAA Office Courier Address below.
South Africa Courier Address:
Australia Awards in Africa
1140 Prospect Street
Level 3, Building 3
Hatfield Square, Hatfield
South Africa Postal Address:
Australia Awards in Africa
Bag X38, Hatfield
For further information on Australia Awards in Africa, please see the links below.
- ADS Handbook PDF format (The official ADS handbook published by AusAID)
- Looking West: Australia’s strategic approach to aid in Africa 2011–2015 (The sectoral priorities of the Australian Government)
- AusAID Website on Scholarships (The AusAID website that includes information on various types of scholarships. Note: not all award types shown on this website may be available in Africa)
- Australian Government Information on Disability Rights
For over 5 years ediaro.com (a member of Fladio International Nigeria Limited) has provided web solutions and advertising for public and private sectors. Our main division is Computer and Information Technology. Thanks to our flexible approach towards the development of new solutions, we have often been at the inception of digital revolution and incorporating the most recent technologies. When you partner with ediaro.com, you are associating with one of Africa’s best company for your ICT needs, we are the 1st Nigerian Company listed on the Economic Community for West African States (ECOWAS) ECOBIZ computer session in 2010. Focusing on quality, reliability and design of our products and services has brought us customers and partnership with local and Multinational Companies such as United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA), Interswitch Limited, Stanbic IBTC Bank Plc among others. Our current customer portfolio covers individuals, companies and Government agencies across the globe including Nigeria, India, United Kingdom, Mozambique and United States of America.