Deputy Project Director, PLAN-Health
Grade: Senior Job ID: 11-4079
Job Location: Country: NG # of Positions: 1
Center/Office: CLM – General Posted Date: 2011-11-28
Project/Program: PLAN-Health Application Due Date: 2011-12-16
Under the general direction of the Project Director, the Deputy Project Director (DPD) facilitates, oversees and coordinates overall PLAN-Health planning and implementation. Working with the Project Director and the Associate Director for Civil Society Organizations and the Associate Director for Public Sector Institutions, s/he promotes a unified strategic vision and ensures that program activities lead to achievement of program goals and objectives in a timely fashion. The Deputy Project Director, under the general direction of the Project Director, will coordinate all activities under the PLAN-Health project and have responsibility for the successful performance of the technical team. S/he will support the Project Director, and in his/her absence, serve as the official representative of the capacity building project and maintain communication between all relevant stakeholders. S/he and will interact productively and proactively with other MSH team members, USAID and other donor organizations, government agencies, NGOs, and private sector groups.
Under the general direction of the Project Director, the Deputy Project Director will:
- Adapt, implement, and oversee an annual project planning cycle that formulates comprehensive annual PLAN-Health project work plans and budgets in accordance with the project’s annual planning cycle.
- Assure integration of technical strategies and the overall operational strategy of the project.
- Direct/coordinate all technical and administrative operations under the PLAN-Health project in close collaboration with the Ads for Civil Society Organizations and for Public Sector Institutions.
- Contribute to, assure, monitor and evaluate the technical excellence of PLAN-Health capacity building interventions.
- Provide leadership for coordinating the various components of the PLAN-Health project in order to achieve smooth functioning and programmatic cohesiveness of the project.
- Provide support to the Project Director for all liaisons between USAID and other collaborating agencies on all technical matters related to the capacity building project.
- Coordinate the PLAN-Health input into the USAID annual COP process.
- Supervise the work and assess the performance of Associate Directors for Civil Society Organizations and for Public Sector Institutions.
- In collaboration with and through ADs, manage and supervise the PLAN-Health staff in the identification of all project activities required to achieve the expected outputs, outcome and goals; in the development of accurate activity profiles; in the recruitment of consultants; and in the oversight of the execution of all technical assistance provided to capacity building project clients.
- Work closely with the Project Director, Associate Director for M&E and the rest of the PLAN-Health Leadership team in developing and applying approaches and tools for effective project monitoring and evaluation.
- Supervisory responsibilities include, but are not limited to, meeting with PLAN-Health staff on a regular basis to discuss issues, track work progress, provide guidance and support, and ensure consistent quality of work; conducting performance reviews; communicating, implementing and assuring adherence to MSH policies, guidelines and values; developing staff skills and knowledge; approving time sheets; and facilitating staff success whenever possible.
- Together with the Project Director, build and maintain good professional relationships with all stakeholders, providing reliable, high quality follow through on all obligations to stakeholders.
- Coordinate and identify with the project staff the training needs and opportunities to support the project.
- Support recruitment of high quality staff as required by the project and in keeping with project policies and procedures and local labor laws.
- Promote effective program learning, helping to ensure that lessons learned are disseminated to appropriate audiences.
- Support the Project Director to ensure timely submission of high quality reports as required by the donor and/or any other stakeholders.
- Other duties as required.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in education/ training in public health, international development, public administration, management, social sciences or a related field.
- Minimum of 12 years experience working with health programs in developing and transitioning countries and, preferably with an exce.llent understanding of the Nigeria Health sector.
- Significant senior-level work experience in institutional capacity building across the areas of financial management, human resources and strengthening leadership, proposal and grants development, and organizational development and strategic planning
- Significant experience in leading and managing technical teams.
- Experience in implementing and managing programs of similar magnitude and complexity.
- Excellent communication skills, demonstrated leadership, and the ability to work collaboratively across technical disciplines.
- Familiarity with, and understanding of, USAID administrative procedures.
- Proven ability to manage experienced staff with differing opinions and to harmonize their efforts.
- Willingness to travel within Nigeria regularly and potentially outside Nigeria, as required
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) saves lives and improves health, especially among the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people, by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. MSH project, Program to build Leadership and Accountability in Nigeria’s Health system (PLAN-Health), which built upon the successes of the Leadership, Management and Sustainability Program’s Capacity Building Project (CB). With PLAN-Health, MSH is focusing on longer-term transformational capacity building that will support both Governmental and Civil Society Organizations to improve their governance, strengthen management systems, and build strong leadership and management skills to achieve results in slowing or halting the impact of HIV/AIDS in Nigeria.
International allowances availableApply for this job online
For over 5 years ediaro.com (a member of Fladio International Nigeria Limited) has provided web solutions and advertising for public and private sectors. Our main division is Computer and Information Technology. Thanks to our flexible approach towards the development of new solutions, we have often been at the inception of digital revolution and incorporating the most recent technologies. When you partner with ediaro.com, you are associating with one of Africa’s best company for your ICT needs, we are the 1st Nigerian Company listed on the Economic Community for West African States (ECOWAS) ECOBIZ computer session in 2010. Focusing on quality, reliability and design of our products and services has brought us customers and partnership with local and Multinational Companies such as United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA), Interswitch Limited, Stanbic IBTC Bank Plc among others. Our current customer portfolio covers individuals, companies and Government agencies across the globe including Nigeria, India, United Kingdom, Mozambique and United States of America.